Coping With Major Pain

Yesterday was among the hardest days I've ever I had.   We flew from Chicago to San Diego.  I was in serious pain for a good part of the day.   The first two hours I was awake this morning were notable.   I felt no pain, whatsoever.   That is such a rarity these days, though not all days are bad.

Thursday I found out that my right leg problems of the past four months were a result of a herniated disc at L5-S1 and bulging discs above it.    For four months I  dealt with my "right leg problem" including an MRI for my lower right leg and physical therapy for my "right calf strain".  I indicated a number of times to my primary care physician and my physical therapist that my symptoms indicated that my primary problem was not a leg strain.  I was told to be patient.

Finally, after reporting increasing pain, my doctor emailed me that I should go for "immediate care" rather than waiting for my appointment with her which was then three weeks away.  On my way to the medical facility, I called up Charlie in  Seattle.  Charlie was a bridge partner of mine.  He is an 84 year old retired internist.   After two minutes of listening to me, Charlie said that I probably had a lumbar herniated disc, with pressure on nerves, radiating into my right leg.   The physician's assistant I then saw confirmed the likely diagnosis.

Now I have a lot of pain in my right leg which varies in intensity from none to extreme pain.  Perhaps indirectly related I have often extreme pain on the back of my neck. Yesterday on the plane multiple times I couldn't bend my head to see the overhead light switch.  When I forget and turn my head without slowing down dramatically, I get a stabbing pain.  Secondarily, annoying, but not usually particularly painful, my rear end hurts from my constipation.

I'm not used to severe, recurring pain!   Until recently, I exercised strenuously 6-7 days a week without difficulty.  I prided myself on being healthy.   Then I suddenly was very short-of-breath  after a severe cold weakened me.  It didn't improve.  It was exhausting to go up the few steps to our house.   My workouts were at perhaps 20% of normal's intensity.

I was shocked to find out I had a heart condition and needed stents to clear one almost totally blocked artery.  Thankfully the stents got me to at least 95% of "normal".   Now, my other ailments make simply getting by my only significant priority (as well as trying to get well).

I appreciate small things much more now.   I take things slowly, minute-by-minute.   I listen much more carefully to my body.   I look forward to a day when I can move around pain-free.  Meanwhile a week from tomorrow I see the spine surgeon and later chiropractor as well as having physical therapy for my constipation problem.

Thank you!


Popular posts from this blog

Big Girls Don't Cry

Table of Contents and More

Palestine-Israel-Judaism Posts - Links (My Writings)